Helena Hill Weed, 1917. Three days in prison for carrying a banner that read:
"Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed."
Suffragists fought for the vote in the US
Suffragettes fought in Great Britain
Women's rights activists lived and fought worldwide
Created by All Voting is Local
Learn more about incumbents and candidates. Vote Smart is nonpartisan.
Information on the incumbent's votes, positions, speeches given, and sources of funds, are online. Enter your address and Vote Smart gives you information about your representatives. Search for information about any incumbent - federal and state. Candidates will be included closer to the election.
NEW! How to vote by mail in Wisconsin (absentee ballot)
NEW! How to request an absentee ballot with your smartphone. Everything you need to know to apply is in this download. It also makes a good handout (be sure to distribute safely) Absentee ballots are required for mail-in voting.
You can download one or all of the flyers here for more information.
1. One side of letter size paper in Spanish. Describes the way to apply for a ballot and vote by mail. It's easier than you think.
2. Printed on one side of a letter-size paper in English. All the information you need to apply for an absentee ballot and vote. It is easier than you think.
3. This a 2-page flyer covering voting by mail in more detail. (English) Every volunteer should download this flyer.
What is mail-in voting? How does it work? Does it increase voter participation? Mail-In voting keeps us safer. Mail in vote & avoid the lines.
Oregon's had mail-in voting since the late 1990's. Voter participation in Oregon is the highest in the country. Both parties support it. Wisconsin's April 7 election mess is furthering the national discussion on mail-in voting. Mail in voting keeps us safer. Mail in voting increases voter participation.
How to Get ID for Voting
Current information on how to get an ID for voting in Wisconsin. From Common Cause and the League of Women Voters.
VOTE411 Candidate Information
VOTE 411 is a League of Women Voters website providing information on upcoming elections and candidates for the U.S. LWV is nonpartisan for every one of its 100 years. Celebrate the centennial of the League of Women Voters this year.
Each candidate is asked the same questions. The Wisconsin candidates' full responses are located here. The responses are not edited.
Want to know what district you live in? You can find that # on the MyVote.WI.gov website. Info for the entire state.
Detailed information for each City of Milwaukee districts (by #) is on this excellent website.
Excellent Video less than 2 minutes
Poweful. Unlike any other voter motivation video. Closed caption.
YelloPain - My Vote Don't Count
Voter Registration Slide Show
Watch slide show online. Click Here Photos and text; goes through the entire process
2020 Voter Calendar. This calendar has everything. Every volunteer needs one of these. It shows open registration period, cut off dates, election dates, and more. 8.5 x 11. In color.
North Side Volunteer Locations. List of places where volunteers will be working. You can use this list to pick your places to contact voters.
North Side Locations by Type. List of volunteer opportunities by type of store or other building.
South Side Volunteer Locations. Like the North Side list, this is your planning guide for helping people register to vote and reminding them every election is important.
Our April 7 election maked international news for all the wrong reasons.
Many see the chaos created for the April 7 election as what every state can expect in November.
We are on the front lines fighting for democracy. Democracy is government by the people, for the people. Voting is our power. (No wonder some work so hard to stop us.) Voting matters in every election.
Milwaukee Ward Maps & Offfice Holder Information
- 325 wards with maps and office holder information
- outline map of ward
- list of all officeholders representing the ward
- date of next election for each office
- tips for voters on voter ID, online registration and more
This link takes you to another website. Use your back button to return to the Supermarket Legends website.
These are compiled and updated by Anne & Suzanne. Thanks!!
State of Wisconsin official authorization statement on homeless voters. Contact staff at homeless shelters now and discuss registering residents to vote.
Homeless-Residency Info - Info on residency requirements for homeless people, proof of residency form for shelter staff to sign,. Homeless people who are citizens can vote. The voices of homeless voters matter. Ask us if you need more information. Bring this up at a Supermarket Legends meeting.
Libraries, DMV, High Schools
Milwaukee Libraries locations and hours -- librarians will help online registration
DMV locations and hours - great places to meet voters
High School voter packetExcellent material including: US voting rights historical timeline and information on how to vote in Wisconsin. Talk about the history. Let students test themselves with an old Louisiana jim crow literacy test. Perfect time to talk about current voter suppression laws. (packet prepared by League of Women Voters of Milwaukee County)
- Tuesday, February 18
- Tuesday, April 7
- Tuesday, August 11
- Tuesday, November 3
All table signs are 8.5 X 11. These fit nicely in plastic holders or on a wall. These can be run in color which attracts attention.
Moved? - Reregister
Register to Vote
What other signs can you use? Click here. Tell us what you can use.
Election Inspector Application
Election Inspector online application – Any Milwaukee County citizen at least 18 years old & eligible to vote may apply. If you are fluent in English/Spanish or English/Hmong consider applying. This is rewarding work.
Clicking this application for Election Inspector takes you to another website.
Volunteer Newsletter Signup
Absentee Ballot Applications, Curbside Voting
- Seniors and Voters with Disabilities – Info Know about curb-side voting? Call your city clerk.
- Applying for absentee ballot can be done online at MyVoteWI.gov
- City of Milwaukee packet English – proof of residence information and Milwaukee Voter Registration Form
- City of Milwaukee packet Spanish – proof of residence information and Milwaukee Voter Registration Form
- Application for absentee ballot 2020 elections Milwaukee (instructions included) Read this page
- Application for absentee ballot in Spanish 2020 Elections Milwaukee (instructions included)
- Wisconsin application for absentee ballot 2020 (Milwaukee accepts this form)
Online Voter Registration
Your guide to Wisconsin on-line voter registration process. This was prepared by Linea from the information provided by the Wisconsin Election Commission. Download here:
Use the Voter Registration Slide Show Online. Click Here
We are rethinking handouts. Check back here for more information on what we will have and how we plan to distribute them.
- Smart voting rights & tips 4 to a page/2 sides, handout on your rights as a voter - good anytime, good opportunity to remind voters of every election in 2020.
- Acceptable ID sixers 2019 English 6 to a page/ 2 sides, lists what IDs are acceptable for registration and at the polls. These make nice handouts at busy events and locations. English
- Acceptable ID sixers 2019 Spanish 6 to a page/2 sides. Spanish
Every election is important.